For me, “Place” is right up there with “Come” as one of the most useful commands I teach my dogs.
1. I teach my dogs that the sound of the doorbell means “go to “Place.”
2. If I break a glass or spill something, “Place” gets my dogs out of trouble fast.
3. My dogs can be on “Place” when people come in the house, so no jumping up on guest happens.
4. When I’m watching tv or working on the computer, my dogs can stay on “Place” and rest or chew a bone.
6. If my dogs are wet or muddy, they can hang out on their Codura beds – NOT a fabric one – and dry out.
7. My dogs generalize ANYTHING I point to and say “Place” means they should get on it and stay there.
8. I teach my dogs to get on a grooming table by using “Place” – starting with the table folded up and on the floor, and then making it higher.
9. I teach “Place” on a stepstool so my dogs can more easily hop into the car.
10. At the vet’s, my dog does “Place” on the scale!